Ticker

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Out of the Woods

I am so sorry for my lack of updates recently. All I will force you to suffer through on the horse front is that we are out of the woods! She is doing fabulously and is back to eating me out of house and home. The Vet's tech came by yesterday and said she looked like the picture of health!


So, on to the stuff you really care about...right? This past weekend was beautiful! I had my windows open, I cleaned the apartment, I suffered through the writing of not one but two papers that I had put off during Trinity's attempt to make me bald, and I made a delicious lunch! The true desire to make this meal started on Sunday morning while I was watching Hungry Girl talk about American Classics. I got to thinking about what one of my all times favorite fast foods is...ONION RINGS! Why are they my favorite? I honestly couldn't tell you! They are greasy and oniony and delicious! So, I looked up the Hungry Girl Recipe for deliciousness on a plate and there we went!

For those of you unaware with my underground secret love affair with Lisa Lillian (Hungry Girl), I will tell you, I have a HUGE underground secret love affair with Lisa Lillian! She does an amazing job of taking dishes that you adore and making them not only low fat, but even more delicious than you thought they could be...I first discovered HG on a shopping trip to Bed Bath and Beyond (BEST. STORE. EVER) with my lovely mother and sister. We saw a book entitled 200 recipes under 200 calories. The ever present dieters that we were/are, we picked up several copies. In the next 4-5 years I probably opened that bright yellow book a whopping 4 times. Each time I did, I enjoyed the recipe that unfolded; however, I have never been a big "recipe" gal. You see, I love to cook, however, my love for measurements and rules and ingredients is far less stringent (crazy seeing as though I am a rule loving fiend!..hmm go figure!)

Anyways, I set about making these onion rings by chopping a bright yellow onion in to rings:
Next I followed the egg bath principle. I dipped/soaked the ring in an egg bath mixed with a bit of hot sauce and then proceeded to coat the ring in ground up Fiber One Cereal mixed with onion powder, chili powder, salt, peper, and a little bit of parmesan cheese...


Due to one of my other favorite bloggers insights, I have learned to put my "baked not fried" items on a cooling rack set over a baking sheet. This allows air to circulate (meaning you don't have to flip the stuff...yeah for the lazys of the world!)

I cooked these beauties on 400 for about 25-30 minutes...While doing that I put together a beautiful deli sandwhich with Dijonnaise (best dressing EVER), Deli Ham, Pepperjack Cheese, Lettuce, Tomato, and Pickle...Yummmms


Now THAT is what I call a delicious Sunday lunch break!


1 comment:

  1. Ok, first off - what a simple and fabulous idea that I've never heard before with the cooling rack on top of the cookie sheet! May another lazy cooker join the party? ;-)

    Secondly - that meal looks FABULOUS. Hard to believe it's something that would be considered "diet food" or that you were watching what you eat. Those meals are the best kind and shelter you from those evil feelings of deprivation! :-)

    ReplyDelete